Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving......What's For Dinner?

Thanksgiving is just around the corner!  For those of us who have been gluten free for quite a while, it might not seem like too much of a challenge, but I remember that feeling of utter panic last year when we were new to all of this.  If you are feeling that same panic, take a deep breath and relax, it isn't that hard actually.

First thing to remember: most meats in their natural form are gluten free.  The turkey is a go!  Sometimes your turkey will include a gravy packet.  I would  avoid that unless you really look at the ingredients, or look it up in a resource like the Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide.  This is a resource I constantly use.  It can be very helpful, especially if you are new to eating gluten free.  To keep your turkey from drying out if you are not making a gf stuffing, you can stuff the bird with onions, garlic, and apples.

Second, fruits and vegetables in their natural state are gluten free.  The mashed potatoes are definitely a go.  I whip mine with a little soy milk and Earth Balance butter.  Yum!  Ready for the gravy!  Cranberries, sweet potatoes, yams, green beans, green salads are all great for a gf Thanksgiving table. 

On to the dessert course.  We are a pumpkin pie family, but this year I am mixing it up a bit.  I am using the Fall Harvest Cake recipe from Gluten-Free Made Simple by Carol Field Dahlstrom, Elizabeth Dahlstrom Burnley and Marcia Schultz Dahlstrom.


I came across this book a month or so ago and I wished that I would have had it when we first went gluten free.  It is a great simple cookbook to start out with.  It is laid out beautifully and is full of information on a gluten free lifestyle.  Many of the recipes have picture instructions, added tips, and nutritional information.  They have a great selection of recipes including chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, veggie pizza, cookies, cakes, even donuts.  It is great for someone new to the gf lifestyle who is feeling deprived.

For those who like to snack before or even after, I make a yummy salsa dip which has been a huge hit in my house.  It is even requested by others when I offer to bring something to their house for a get together.  I have included the recipe in this post.

So Thanksgiving is going to be a delicious meal for all!  What is on all your menu's?



YUMMY SALSA

1 red onion chopped
1 can of shoe peg corn
1 can of blackeyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado cut into small chunks
1 bunch of cilantro chopped finely
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T lime juice
1 tsp cumin
2 cloves of garlic minced (I use the bottled kind)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a medium size bowl.  In a small mixing bowl mix the rest of the ingredients and pour over the bean mix in the other bowl.  Toss well until it is all mixed together. 

This is one of those things that tastes even better the next day, so it is great to make this ahead of time and serve chilled.  Serve with tortilla chips.



FALL HARVEST CAKE
From Gluten-Free Made Simple

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 15oz can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour (I used Gluten Free Mama's Coconut Blend flour)
1 large apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan (I used a bundt pan); set aside.  In a large bowl mix granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger.  Stir in pumpkin, eggs, oil, and vanilla.  Stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time.  Fold in apple and pecans.  Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean inserted near the center.  Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.  Serves 12.


And look at the inside of this cake when sliced....DELICIOUS!


May you all have a very blessed Thanksgiving day!

1 comment:

  1. Sheila, what a lovely post on Thanksgiving! Your ideas are wonderful!

    Having just found out last Thursday that I need to eat GF & DF, I know that it will take some time. I can't really rewrite our entire Thanksgiving menu at this point, but I will do my best. I know it won't be perfect, but I will incorporate these tips going forward. Even for Christmas!

    Thank you for this post (and for answering my questions, too!) May you and your family have a very blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...