Friday, December 30, 2011

Party Food: Spinach Dip, Ranch Dip, and It's Dairy Free!

One of our house favorites during the holidays is a Spinach Dip.  Of course it is loaded with dairy.  I have not made it for several years because I was trying to make food everyone could eat.  In the past I have either avoided it or eaten it and paid the price.  This year, I made it completely dairy and gluten free and enjoyed every bite!


Spinach Dip:

1 8 oz package of cream cheese (I used Toffuti's Better Than Cream Cheese)
1 cup sour cream (I used Toffuti's Better Than Sour Cream)
1 (10 oz) pkg of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
2 Tbsp Ranch Dressing Mix (see recipe below)
1 can (8 oz) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped

Mix cream cheese, sour cream, and ranch mix in a medium bowl until well blended.  Using an electric mixer works great for this.  Stir in remaining ingredients and cover.  Refrigerate several hours or until chilled.  Serve with cut up veggies.


I almost did not make the spinach dip.  I wasn't sure if the ranch dressing packets were gluten free, but I knew they were not dairy free.  Most recipes I found for a ranch mix used ground up saltine crackers.  Does that seem weird to you?  Anyway, I found the perfect recipe from a cookbook on my shelf and suddenly, the spinach dip was back on the menu.  The Ranch Dressing Mix comes from Rachel Carlyle's new cookbook: In the Kitchen with Gluten Free Mama.  This is a great cookbook, by the way!  It is not being sold on Amazon right now, but you can go to her website here.

Ranch Dressing Seasoning Mix:

1 Tbsp. minced onion flakes
3 Tbsp dried parsley
2 Tbsp dried chives
1 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper

Store in an air tight container to use later for dressing or dip.


I also made the Ranch Dip for a veggie plate.  I thought it was absolutely delicious.  Being dairy free, I haven't had a ranch dressing for ages.  I thoroughly enjoyed it!


Ranch Dip:

2 Tbsp ranch seasoning mix
1 cup sour cream (Use Toffuti's Better Than Sour Cream for the dairy free version)
1 cup mayonnaise

Mix all ingredients together.  Serve chilled with cut up vegetables.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I am so excited about these appetizer recipes! We always have appetizers on Christmas Eve ... I am filing these away for next year, but I will certainly make them before that, I am sure =)

    Happy New Year!

    P.S. I am not sure if I told you this, but your Chicken Pot Pie and Taco Topper recipes were BIG hits in my family! Being the only one who is GF and DF right now, it means a lot to find recipes that everyone enjoys.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...