Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cabbage Salad With a Mediterranean Style Dressing

The end of the month always poses a bit of a problem for my menu calendar.  What my menu reads and what makes it to the table are often two different things!  Tonight was no exception!  My menu read, “Fried Polenta with Gravy and Roast, Asparagus, and Salad.”   Complications.  First, we had asparagus last night, so that was out.  Second, salad would be a bit tough since I didn’t have any more lettuce.  I decided to forget the asparagus and focus on just a good salad, without lettuce. 

I went to my fridge to see what I could make into some sort of salad.  Carrots.  Jicama.  A half a head of purple cabbage.  Celery.  I could mix that into something, maybe coleslaw?  I started to shred the cabbage, but purple was flying everywhere so I abandoned that idea and finished the head by thinly slicing it.  Cinnamon shredded the carrots while I dealt with the Jicama.  EW!!!  We skipped that thought after I opened the bag.  Celery would have to do.



The colors were pretty and I thought a vinaigrette would work better.  I wanted to try using lemon juice instead of vinegar, so I juiced a lemon into a small bowl and added olive oil.  I will be honest.  I am horrible at measuring.  I just add this and that and then later think, how much was that?  Cinnamon and I guessed that we used about ¼ cup of olive oil or less.  I then threw in some salt and pepper and some basil.  Minced some garlic and tossed it all together. 



It is something I will definitely make again.  Everyone enjoyed it and loved the dressing.  I think lemon will be a new staple in my fridge.  I hope you enjoy!



Cabbage Salad with a Mediterranean Style Dressing


1/2 of a cabbage shredded or thinly sliced
3 carrots shredded
4 stalks of celery thinly sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic minced
The juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup olive oil (or less if preferred)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp Basil

Mix cabbage, carrots and celery together.  In a small bowl mix the juice of one lemon, minced garlic, and olive oil together.  Add seasonings to taste.  Mix together until well blended.  Pour over vegetables and toss.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...