Monday, June 18, 2012

Where Have You Been?

I didn't mean to disappear for so long.  Really!  After graduation we went on vacation.  A wonderful way to relax after the hectic past few months.  We went to Leavenworth, Washington.  If you have never been, it is a quaint little Bavarian town nestled in the Cascade Mountains.  It is absolutely beautiful!


We thoroughly enjoyed our time, even though the weather seemed to be against us!  It rained and rained and rained!  When it rained we played some mean games of Catan!  We love that game!  We probably play it at least once a week, if not more.  We have now added the Fishermen of Catan (fun!), Oil Springs (a fun and aggravating twist) and Cities and Knights (lots of details and maybe the most fun according to the gang).


I know what you are thinking.  Gee whiz, it sure doesn't look like they are having fun!  You are right.  At that moment I am pouting.  Seriously!  Allspice is stealing a card from me.  AGAIN!!!  I think he likes to pick on me.  So, I am pouting and probably kicking him under the table.  I am not competitive or anything.

When is wasn't raining we were on the go!  We walked the sidewalks of town and ducked into all kinds of little shops filled with goodies!  Sure there were stores filled with knick-knacks, fancy bags, chic clothing, but the shops that held my attention were filled with food, or at least stuff to make food absolutely delicious.  The vinegar and oil shop was incredible!  Mushroom and garlic infused olive oil is amazing!  Apricot balsamic vinegar that has been aged for 18 years: mouth watering!  Cured, a small butcher shop, enticed us with buckboard bacon.  Some of the best bacon I have ever had the privilege to eat!  Delicious gluten free honey barbecue sauce came home with me.  Specialty mustards were found elsewhere.  It was a culinary delight.


The landscape was incredible!  We wished we could have hiked more!  Our hiking adventures were limited, but we made the most of it!  God's creation is so perfect!


It was a wonderful vacation.  And now we are back to normal and all that it entails.  I am hoping to get back into the swing of things!  So, that is it.  That's where I have been.  Off relaxing and playing.  And loving every minute!


And now, just in case you are wondering what I plan on doing with mushroom and garlic infused olive oil, I will tell.  A few months ago I discovered a new family favorite vegetable side dish: Roasted Broccolette.  Broccolette is a relative of broccoli, but the taste is more mild.  We all love this.  It is loaded with garlic, so what is not to love!  Right?  It is so easy and the results are delicious.  And most importantly, yes, you can make it even if you don't have infused olive oil :) 

Roasted Broccolette:

Broccolette (I get mine from Costco and use half the bag to serve 5)
1 shallot or onion, sliced
1 fist of garlic, chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Seasonings (I love to use McCormick's Perfect Pinch: Mediterranean Herb.  YUM!)


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with foil for easy clean up.  Wash, trim, and dry broccolette. If the stems are thick, I split them in half lengthwise.  Place on the cookie sheet in a single layer.

 Nestle chunks of garlic in the broccolette.  Top with the shallot or onion.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Season according to taste.  Roast for 30 minutes.  After 15 minutes, turn the broccolette to roast the other side.



YUM!!!  Perfect with a side salad and bbq chicken!  I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...