Thursday, February 16, 2012

A February Daybook

Outside my window...
Jack, my big yellow lab.  He sits at the window, always watching.  When it is dinner time, he knocks on the window. Seriously.  If you ignore him, he knocks louder.  If you still ignore him, he will knock twice.  Heaven forbid you continue ignoring him at that point because he will sit back on his haunches and pound with both paws continuously.




I am thankful for...
Companies that are making my life easier by making GOOD gluten-free foods.  I just discovered that Glutino makes Apple and Blueberry breakfast bars.  Dan used to take a Nutrigrain Bar with him to work if he was in a hurry and the kids loved them for snacks, but that was before the gluten-free days.  I am so glad my friend happened to have ordered the Glutino bars and had them sitting on her counter when I visited!  My order just arrived.  I think everyone here is thankful!

I am thinking about...
Lent starting next week!  This is actually one of my favorite times of year.  I try each year to think of the things that take me away from spending time with Jesus and then I try to give some of those things up.  I also try to find ways to spend more time in prayer and try to simplify my life concentrating on the most important things, the things that really matter.  It is a real time of reflection.  I want to end the Lenten season becoming a new and improved version of myself; one that truly reflects my love and belief in Christ.


Learning all the time...
Well, we entered into the frightening realm of driver’s education for Paprika and Cinnamon.  We have actually put this off for a year, but figured it was probably the time to do it now!  Plus, the driving school is offering a class during the day for homeschoolers, which is perfect because it doesn’t conflict with anything else.  I hear from Dan that his practice time with Cinnamon and Paprika is going well.  I have yet to get into the car with them.  Perhaps one too many memories of a certain someone steering a shopping cart for me has me a bit petrified.  Give me time, it is only the first week!

From the kitchen...
Paprika decided to make a gluten free pineapple upside-down cake.  She has been eyeing the recipe in The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free cookbook for quite some time.  I must say, it was delicious.  Yes, it tasted as good as it looks!




I am creating...
New Menu Night recipes!  I am really trying to come up with some new recipes.  The old menu has become a bit boring.  I am trying to spice things up a bit.

I am working on...
learning more about nutrition while being gluten-free.  I am studying The Gluten-Free Nutrition Guide by Tricia Thompson and the Complete Gluten-Free Diet & Nutrition Guide written by Alexandra Anca.  I have already learned I should be hyphenating gluten-free.

I am going...
To a musical production of Snow White.  It is being put on by the Knights of Columbus at our parish in order to raise money to build a green house for the local food bank.  Dan and Allspice are stage hands for the all male cast.  Hmmm.  Should be fun!

I am hoping...
For sunnier days.  We had snow again yesterday and I really am in the mood for some sunshine!  I am just ready.  I am hoping the snow has seen better days and is making way for sun and warmer days.


I am reading...
The Bungalow by Lisa Jio.  I am only about 100 pages in, but I am not enjoying it all that much.  I had such high hopes based on her first novel.  We’ll see.

I just picked up The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure and Left Neglected by Lisa Genova the author of Still Alice.  I plan on spending some time reading while I am waiting for the girls.  Right now, I am spending nine hours a week waiting in the car or the local coffee shop while they dance and learn to drive.  Seems like a good time to read!

I am praying for...
Sarah.  That labor goes smoothly and that she has a quick and easy delivery.  I am also praying for her sweet baby girl!!!!!


I am hearing...
Nothing.  Right now it is absolutely silent.  Everyone is off doing their thing and I am here just relishing the bit of quiet and peace.  It seems like I am always running, so this is welcomed. 

Around the house...
It smells like coffee.  I just received my package of assorted coffees from The Mystic Monks.  These are Carmelite monks who make and sell coffee to help sustain their monastery in Wyoming.  Their coffee is delicious and it goes to a good cause!  I can drink to that!

One of my favorite things...
The theme song from Charlie Brown.  I didn’t realize how much I loved it until Valentine’s Day when Dan gave me a stuffed Woodstock that plays the tune.  I absolutely love it.  It makes me want to dance.  It makes my heart smile. I even asked Allspice if he could help me use it for my ring tone on my phone.  He half smiled and shook his head.  I’m not sure what that means exactly.



A few plans for the rest of the week...
More running around!  The next several weeks are crazy busy!  Most of all, I am hoping to meet a certain bundle of joy!

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

Can you hear the music cuz I pressed the button....again!

1 comment:

  1. That woodstock doll cracks me up. (And he looks to be staged on a very Paprika-ish background). :)

    Tell me what you think of Left Neglected. I'm curious about it.

    And I think I need to switch from Starbucks to Mystic Monks. Much better cause there. Much better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...