Friday, October 14, 2011

It Ain't Fancy, But It's Good

Life is busy!  Sometimes I can't believe how fast the day goes.  Between homeschooling and activities we always seem like we are running.  We still manage to eat together most nights, but sometimes it is a bit crazy.

On those crazy days dinner just needs to be fast.  Fast and inexpensive.  Well this is one such meal.  This is a no frills meal, that with a little planning, can be made in a quick fifteen minutes, start to finish.  That is no easy feat when we are talking gluten free!

This meal is perfectly designed to use hamburger you have already cooked and frozen.  This is when batch cooking saves the day.  You can also use rice that has been made ahead of time and frozen as well, or you can use minute rice.  When I make rice in my rice cooker, I always make the most I can.  What is left after dinner is divided into containers to freeze and use later.  It is great to thaw and use in stir fry meals or in something like this.



HAMBURGER RICE:

4 cups Minute Rice or rice from your freezer (8 cups already cooked)
1 pound of hamburger, cooked and from your freezer
1 onion chopped
1 large or 2 small cans of mushrooms
1 large can of tomato sauce

If you are taking the hamburger from the freezer, put it in the microwave for approximately 3 minutes to thaw.  Meanwhile, make your rice according to the directions on the box.  I do not add the butter for this recipe.  While the rice is cooking, chop your onions and place them in a deep-sided skillet.  Add the hamburger and mushrooms and cook over medium heat.  Once the onions become translucent your rice should be finished.  Add rice to the hamburger mixture.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the can of tomato sauce and a half can of water.  Mix together and heat thoroughly.

Okay....so I told you no frills.  It is not gourmet, that's for sure, but it is quick, easy, and kids even love it.  My nephew, who has to be the cutest, but pickiest kid on the planet even asked for more!  Now that's saying something.

I serve this with a side vegetable, like steamed broccoli.  My kid's favorite is canned peas with vinegar and oil served cold.  Probably sounds weird.  Definitely, not Iron Chef worthy, but hey, it does taste good!

The total cost of the meal: $6.22.  Just so you know, I use the cost of hamburger you can find in the store.  The cool thing about this meal is this:


That's right.  One dinner and six lunches for $6.22.  I freeze the leftovers in smaller containers.  Great for a quick lunch. 

So it might not be fancy, but saving money never is.

1 comment:

  1. I made this last night for my family. It was a huge success! My son said, "Mom, you should definitely make this again!" I served it with a big salad and homemade ranch dressing. And, the leftovers are going to make a perfect lunch for everyone! Thank you for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...