Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Perfect Autumn Day For Soup!

Today was your typical fall day.  The day started with very crisp air and a fine fog weaving its way through the pine trees.  The colors by mid-afternoon were vibrant against the monochromatic grey sky.  By evening the deer had gathered down the hill where I could see them from my kitchen window.  A mama and her fawn nosing through the yellowed grasses.  The smells of onions and garlic wafted through the air.  The perfect day for soup!

When I make soup, I make soup; lots of soup!  This is the perfect meal for batch cooking.   I usually make two different kinds at the same time.  Tonight I made a chicken vegetable rice in one pot and a vegetable beef in a second pot.  I figure since there are many ingredients that overlap, it is just easier to make two.  Clean up is easier too, especially since it is Allspice's night for dishes!

Tonight we had soup and biscuits.  The best part: after eating 10 bowls of soup, the rest is ladled into individual containers which I put in the freezer to use for lunches.
There are 17 lunches ready to place in the freezer!

 I have a hard time spending $2.00 or more for a can of soup when I can make homemade soup for so much cheaper.  Tonight's vegetable beef cost $10.50 and made the equivalent of 15 cans of soup.  That's 70 cents a serving!  The chicken vegetable rice cost $7.19 and made 12 servings.  Each serving is only 60 cents.  Good for you and the budget!

I hope you enjoy these recipes.  I do want to apologize though.  I am one of those cooks who tends to not measure things or just throws things in at the last minute.  Sometimes, in trying to write the recipe, it may reflect that a bit.  I don't follow a recipe when I make soup either.  Most of the time I make it from what I have on hand.  So with that, if you have any questions, let me know and I will try and clear it up!



CHICKEN VEGETABLE RICE SOUP:

1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbsp olive oil
4-5 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
2 medium carrots chopped
1/2 bag of frozen broccoli florets
1/2 bag of frozen peas
1 container (32 oz) chicken broth.  I use this kind.
1 can of chicken (12.5 oz) or 1 1/2 cups of cooked chicken
1 1/2 cups of Minute Rice
Water
Bay leaf
Seasonings (I use salt, garlic pepper, basil, oregano, and Italian seasonings to taste)
 
In a large pot saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.  Add celery and carrots.  Add broccoli and peas and continue to cook over medium heat until thawed.  Add chicken, broth, and rice.  Fill the rest of the pot with water.  Add bay leaf and seasonings to taste.  Bring to a boil.  Turn down heat to simmer for approximately 20 minutes.  If two much evaporates during this stage you can always add more broth or water. I added both.

 My pot is not as big as I would like and so after we ate dinner I added more water and some seasonings to balance the ratio of liquid and solids in order to freeze it.



VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP:

1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 1/2 to 2 lbs of hamburger
1 small can of mushrooms
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1 can of tomato paste
1 can of kidney beans; drained and rinsed
1 can of black beans; drained and rinsed
2 cans of diced tomatoes with their juices
2 cans of tomato sauce
Water
Bay leaf
Seasonings to taste (I used salt and garlic pepper, basil, oregano, garlic salt)

Brown your hamburger along with the onions and minced garlic.  When the hamburger is cooked drain the meat.  Add frozen vegetables and mushrooms.  Stir in the tomato paste.  Add water to rinse the can.  Add kidney beans, black beans, and diced tomatoes.  Add tomato sauce.  I add water to rinse the cans.  Fill the remainder of the pot with water stirring to incorporate all ingredients.  Add your bay leaf and seasonings to taste.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for approximately 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...