Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Scramble for Dinner

Ever notice that in those hours of pure desperation you are able to come up with something that turns out pretty good.  Being a mom of three incredibly busy teenagers I tend to live on that very edge.  That precipice where as long as you don't look down you will be ok.  That moment when busy can easily become overwhelming.  Yesterday, was such a day.

It wasn't that yesterday was running-with-my-heat-cut-off busy, it was actually somewhat normal aside from the added dental appointments which kind of threw off the day.  It's just that when it was all said and done, I suddenly found myself at 4:30 needing to have dinner on the table by five so we could leave the house by 5:30 for a Bible study and a church presentation.  I looked at the menu, and realized the meal of salmon (still in the freezer), sliced potatoes and onions (made from leftovers that didn't exist), and broccoli, was probably not going to work.

Plan B.  I looked in the fridge for some inspiration.  Nothing jumped out at me and said, "Make me!"  Hate it when that happens.  Looked at the pantry.  Nothing.  Inspiration was definitely hiding.  Then I thought...okay this just needs to be quick, so what is quick.  I know........



What...doesn't everyone think chicken when they are in a hurry.  Well maybe not chicken, but eggs are quick.  I will just make breakfast for dinner.  Perfect. 

 Let me be honest here.  I am not a big breakfast fan.  Never have been.  I usually eat leftovers for breakfast, after all, it is dinner somewhere in the world.  Another issue, I really don't like eggs.   Hard boiled are okay, fried flat like a pancake are good, but that is usually my limit.  Sometimes scrambled eggs with ketchup, but a little goes a long way.  My dinner was going to be eggs, what was I thinking.

Scrambled eggs, fried ham slices from Sunday's ham, and toast.  Then I thought what if I made the eggs more like dinner food.  So I tried it.  It was good.  No, it was really good.  I would even have it again, it was that good.  You know what else?  It didn't taste like scrambled eggs.  My family, who I will admit looked at me rather strangely when I announced dinner was scrambled eggs, really liked it.  That's the true test, isn't it!

So, I thought I would share it with you.

DINNER SCRAMBLE:

12 eggs, beaten
1 carrot chopped
3 celery stalks (including the leaves) chopped
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 Tbsp butter (I use Earth Balance)
1 large can of mushrooms or 4-5 fresh mushrooms sliced
Garlic Salt
Garlic Pepper
McCormick Basil and Garlic (Perfect Pinch) 
Shredded Mozzarella cheese

Saute carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in the butter.  Cook until vegetables are soft and onions are translucent.  Add mushrooms.  Add eggs and thoroughly cook.  Season with garlic salt and pepper and Basil and Garlic blend.  Top with mozzarella cheese.


This is a meal that is great when you are in a hurry and dinner needs to be on the table yesterday!  The "Dinner Scramble" itself, is approximately $4.30 and feeds six.  So, its cheap, and fast, and delicious.  What more could you want out of a meal?  Yeah.  I know.  Bad question.  But when dinner is on the table by five and my family is out the door at 5:30  with smiles on their faces, its all good!  So very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...