Thursday, October 27, 2011

Preparation is Good....Luck is Even Better

Tonight was new menu night.  Last month when I wrote the menu, I thought fish tacos sounded good.  I have seen them on restaurant menus and as I was thinking about new things to try I imagined they must have that delicious fresh taste.  Usually for new menu night I spend some time looking through recipe books or spend some time online looking for ideas, but tonight I found myself looking at the calendar and realizing today was Thursday and it was new menu night. I didn't have a recipe to work with, just an idea about the way something should taste, at least in my imagination.  Way to be prepared!!!

I seriously thought about changing the menu, but Cinnamon, who happens to be the new rules police in our house (only when it comes to me, the budget, and the menu) emphatically stated that I could not change the menu, the calendar said fish tacos.  So, I had to wing it.

I must say, I am glad I did.  These turned out wonderful!  I used bass we had caught this last summer and fried it in a little olive oil and seasoned it with some basil, garlic, pepper, and garlic salt.  We used corn tortillas, topped with the bass, and this amazing fresh topping.  It is not really a salsa, not really a slaw, so we will just call it a topping or if you prefer, call it whatever you like :)




FISH TACO TOPPING:

2 carrots shredded
1 red onion sliced thin
12 grape tomatoes quartered
1 can shoepeg corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
small bunch of cilantro finely chopped
1 small head of romaine lettuce cut to look almost shredded
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 cloves of garlic minced
salt and pepper to taste


Add the first seven ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and mix together.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.  Pour over your vegetables and toss.

Use to top fish tacos or as a side dish. 



These tasted better than I could have imagined.  However, next time I will try to be a little more prepared!  Well, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...