Friday, March 2, 2012

Quick and Easy Lenten Fixes

Thought I would share with you a couple of yummy quick Lenten fixes that are easy and healthy.  The first is a simple crab salad served on romaine lettuce leaves.


Crab Salad on Romaine
1 can crab meat
avocado (cut into chunks and drizzled with lemon juice)
1/2 can of black olives
grape tomatoes (halved)
cucumber  (chopped into bite sized chunks)
2 celery stalks chopped
Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Blend to taste
Freshly ground pepper
Olive oil
romaine lettuce leaves
lemon wedge

Mix crab meat, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, and celery in a mixing bowl.  Break the whole olives into the mix letting the juices run into the bowl.  Season with Mrs. Dash and freshly ground pepper.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Serve on romaine leaves and a lemon wedge to squeeze on the salad.


Quick Fix #2:

When I was in college, I decided that eggs were a fairly cheap way to incorporate protein into my diet.  The problem was that I didn't like the taste of eggs.  I didn't mind hard boiled eggs, but I did not enjoy scrambled, fried over easy, used in quiche, or really any other way.  Then I tried beating eggs and frying them flat like a pancake adding various seasonings and I liked it.  I decided to top it with minute rice and sauteed mushrooms.  I really liked the taste and it quickly became a staple when I needed something cheap and easy. 

I have become much more creative over the years, but the foundation of the recipe is the same.  Start with an egg fried flat and top it with what you have on hand.  I topped this one with zucchini, portabello mushrooms, a small amount of a left over wild rice medley, and shrimp.  You could use all sorts of vegetables: peppers, onions, garlic, squash, tomatoes, you name it.  You can make it with a Mexican flavor by topping it with hamburger, cheese, and salsa.  The varieties are truly endless.  The end results are the same: in ten minutes you have a quick, easy, delicious meal.




Both of these meals are great for Lenten Fridays.  I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...