Friday, March 23, 2012

Spicy Chicken and Pineapple

I love PF Chang's Spicy Chicken.  I am so glad they make a gluten-free version!  The only problem:  PF Chang's is a bit on the pricey side, so we only go a couple times a year, usually after I have accrued enough rewards points to get a free gift card.  So what to do in the mean time.   I decided to try making something like it a home.  There are some nice recipes online and I based my own recipe off of this one.  I changed a few things to make this version gluten free and for the most part paleo.  I have been reading a lot of nutrition books lately and wanted to try making it paleo too.  The problem with making this recipe completely paleo lies in the use of vinegar, which is controversial, and sugar, which is a no-no.  There are a lot of different takes on what constitutes a paleo diet and sometimes is is confusing!  Nonetheless, I wanted to try some new ingredients and play with the recipe a bit. The results were great!  Not quite PF Chang's, but yummy just the same.  I hope you enjoy.



Spicy Chicken and Pineapple

Chicken cut into bite sized pieces (I used 5 boneless skinless thighs.)
Coconut Oil (I used enough in the pan to fry the chicken)
1/3 cup of arrowroot powder

Dip the chicken into the arrowroot powder until the chicken is well dusted.  Fry the chicken in the coconut oil until done and light brown.  While the chicken is cooking, go ahead and make your sauce.

Sauce:

2 tsp coconut oil
4 cloves of garlic minced
3-4 green onions chopped
1 cup of pineapple juice (I drained a large can of pineapple chunks and reserved the pineapple for later.  If you are short on liquid, add a bit of water to make it one cup.)
2 Tbsp of chili sauce
2 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp Coconut Aminos or gf soy sauce
2 Tbsp water
1/2 Tbsp arrowroot powder

Heat the coconut oil in a medium sauce pan.  Add garlic and onion and saute until fragrant.  Add the pineapple juice and stir.  Add chili sauce, vinegar, sugar, and coconut aminos.  Stir.  Mix water and arrowroot powder together and add to sauce.  Bring to a boil, then simmer on medium high heat for approximately 5 minutes.

Toss the chicken, reserved pineapple, and sauce together.  Serve with cauliflower "rice" or regular rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...