Monday, March 26, 2012

A Side of Radishes, Please!

Radishes are cheap and are a great addition to a salad, but have you ever thought of them as a star of a side dish?  Have you ever thought of roasting them?  I recently saw a picture of roasted radishes and I immediately thought…..weird.  Radishes.  Really?  Radishes are spicy and sometimes even hot.  Could you really see it as a side dish?  Well, I am one for a challenge, or at least today I was, and I happened to have radishes.  I will say I was very surprised!  They were great.  The radishes become very mellow tasting after roasting.  The combination of garlic and onion added to the crunch of the radish for a rather pleasing side dish.  The cost is under $1.50 for the side.  Not bad!  I thought I might have some upturned noses, but everyone was equally surprised by the tastiness of the dish.  Bonus!



Roasted Radishes and Onions


2 bunches of radishes,  root and stems removed
1 onion, quartered and sliced thinly
4 cloves of garlic minced
Olive Oil
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Tbsp parsley


Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Quarter the radishes and place them in a roasting pan (you could also use a foil lined cookie sheet).  Add the onion and garlic.  Season with salt, pepper, and parsley. Drizzle with olive oil and mix the vegetables to make sure they are all coated.  Roast the vegetables in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring once half way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...